- Cooking liquid reserved from Refried Black Bean Recipe. Approximately 4 cups
- 1 small dried chipotle
- 1 foot piece of kitchen twine, or similar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves roasted garlic, finely chopped
A note on garnishes:
I honestly freeze cooking liquid, and bring it out when I have something like a roasted chicken or pork shoulder already in the fridge.
This is one of those perfect kinds of dishes that will use up leftovers very effectively, so take these ideas as just that, ideas:
- Chicken, roasted or grilled
- Shredded pork shoulder
- Cooked bacon
- Queso Fresco, or any crumbly fresh cheese
- green onion
- literally, any appealing cooked vegetable. Green beans, asparagus, kale, spinach
In a medium pan, brown the onion, add the garlic, bay leaf, and then, add and heat the bean liquid.
Toss in the whole chipotle, using the twine to tie it to the handle, should you be concerned about losing it.
As the liquid reduces to a nice soup consistency, taste it.
When it is as spicy as you would like, remove and set aside the chipotle.
While the soup cooks, choose and assemble your garnishes.
Check your seasoning, warm any garnishes, either in the soup pot, or apart, and serve.