An easy recipe for Gluten Free Skillet Cornbread
What you will need:
- 2 cups Fine Corn Meal, or half and half fine and coarse for a more rustic texture
- 1.75 cups milk, buttermilk or soy milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbs butter, or substitute
Place a 9 inch iron skillet into a preheated 425° oven to heat.
In a medium mixing bowl, assemble all of the ingredients except for the butter and whisk until well blended.
When the skillet is heated, remove it from the oven, add the butter and swirl to melt and coat the bottom of the pan.
Pour the butter into the batter and mix in, then pour the batter into the hot pan and return it to the oven.
Cook 25-30 minutes, until the cornbread is browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Variations: Add one or all directly to the batter. Almost anything can be added to the batter, so long as it does not contribute a bunch of water to the mix.
- 1/4 cup grated jack or cheddar cheese, or crumbled queso fresco
- 1/2 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1/4 cup chopped poblano, or jalapeño chiles
- 3-4 cloves roasted garlic
- 3-4 chopped green onions